KTA congratulates the following individuals, who were recognized for their 2012 hiking accomplishments at Keystone Trails Association's October 13, 2012 Annual Meeting in Clearfield, Clearfield County, PA:
Appalachian Trail Award (for hiking the entire Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania)
Gary Edwards, Danville, PA
Daniel Hooven, Mechanicsburg, PA
Dory Peterson, Kutztown, PA
Diane Reider, Reading, PA
Tara Shade, Marysville, PA
Merit Award (for hiking the entire Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania, plus 200 or more miles on select PA trails)
Gary Edwards, Danville, PA
Merit II Award (for hiking all of the Appalachian Trail between the Hudson River and the Potomac River, plus 200 or more miles on select other trails in addition to those used for the Merit Award)
Douglas Turner, Bradfordwoods, PA
Western Award (for hiking 200 miles on designated trails in Western Pennsylvania)
Paul Lenz, Cornwall, PA
AWARD DETAILS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Appalachian Trail Award - Applicant must have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania
- Merit Award - Applicant must have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania plus 200 or more miles on any of the trails listed below.
- Merit II Award - Applicant must have hiked all of the Appalachian Trail between the Hudson River and the Potomac River plus 200 or more miles on trails listed below in addition to those used for the Merit Award.
- Pennsylvania Award - Applicant must have hiked 500 miles in Pennsylvania. Trails can be found in Pennsylvania Hiking Trails, KTA's hiking guide. Portions of any trail may be used.
- State Forest Trails Award - Applicant must have hiked all 798 miles of trails in the Pennsylvania State Forest system. State Forest trails may be used to fulfill the requirements of another award.
- Western Pennsylvania Award - Applicant must have hiked 200 miles or more on any of the western trails listed below.
- Young Hiker Award (12 and under) - Applicant must have hiked 25 miles on any trail in Pennsylvania. Applicant may receive this award on multiple occasions, but must complete the 25-mile requirement on different trails for each award.
Big Pocono State Park
Standing Stone Trail (formerly Link Trail)
Old Loggers Path
Rickets Glen ST PK
John P. Saylor
Oil Creek ST PK
NOTE: Trails in italics are at least in part State Forest Trails and are therefore eligible for use in completion of the Department of Conservation & Natural Resources State Forest Trail Award. A list of trails and required mileage for each are listed on the Bureau of Forestry's website.
Awards are presented at the KTA Annual Meeting in the fall of each year. Awards not claimed at the Annual Meeting will be mailed to the recipient shortly thereafter. The following rules must be observed:
- Except for the Appalachian Trail, as specified in the award requirements above, no trail may be used for more than one award.
- Any trail used for an award must be hiked in the entirety; partially hiked trails will not be accepted.
- A log showing starting and stopping points on trails, and dates hiked must be included with the application.
- The application should be signed by an officer of KTA or some other outdoor organization.
- A separate application must be submitted for each award.
- Completed applications should be mailed to: KTA, 101 N. Front Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101, and must be received by the first of September of the year in which the award is to be made.
Download the awards application