This year, challenge yourself.
One step at a time.
The Keystone Trails Association (KTA) 100-Mile Trail Challenge recognizes hikers that complete 100 miles or more of eligible Pennsylvania hiking trails in a designated period of time. In 2013, the 100-Mile Trail Challenge must be completed between September 1, 2012 and August 31, 2013.
2012 Update: We had quite a successful inaugural year for our 100-Mile Trail Challenge! Between April and September, 2012, twelve participants hiked a combined total of 1,603 miles of Pennsylvania's trails, and raised a total of $2,589 in sponsorships to support KTA's mission to protect our hiking trails - an average of 133.5 miles hiked, and $216 raised, per participant!
Participants are challenged not just to complete 100 (or more) miles of trails, but to secure sponsorships for each mile of their journey (at least $1 per mile hiked). Each dollar you raise will support not only the trail(s) you enjoy most, but hiking trails throughout the state of Pennsylvania.
Participants in the 100-Mile Trail Challenge must complete the 100-Mile Trail Challenge Log Book (date of each hike, miles hiked and eligible trail), and submit it to KTA before September 1, 2013, along with their Sponsorship Form, sponsorship contributions, and membership application (if not already a KTA member).
Click here to download the 100-Mile Trail Challenge brochure, see below for more information, or let us know you plan to participate by completing this short form!
Would you like to support a friend, relative, co-worker or fellow club member by becoming their sponsor? Sponsor them for $10, $50, $100, or whatever amount works for you! Click here to submit a sponsorship online (using your credit card and/or PayPal account).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who can participate?
Everyone is welcome to participate in the 100-Mile Trail Challenge! Consider completing some - or all - of your journey with a friend, sibling, parent, child, co-worker, hiking club, youth group, or anyone else seeking a personal challenge!
The 100 miles may be completed in one or two long weekends – or in short increments, throughout the entire fall, winter, spring and summer. This challenge is for beginner and experienced hikers alike! You’re not limited to 100 miles – we encourage you to challenge yourself to 150, 200, or more miles, especially if you are already an experienced hiker!
Which trails are eligible?
While virtually any PA hiking trail is eligible for inclusion in the 100-Mile Trail Challenge, a complete list of hiking trails can be found in Pennsylvania Hiking Trails, 13th Edition.
Why should I participate?
Those that choose to complete the 100-Mile challenge may do so for a wide variety of personal reasons. Some of these reasons include:
Wanting to meet a personal fitness and/ or weight-loss goal
- Seeking an opportunity to explore new trails
- Training for the Susquehanna Super Hike and Ultra Trail Run
- Building short, more regular, hikes into your recreational schedule
- Completing two or more long-distance hiking trails during multi-day backpack trips
- Spending regular time with a relative or friend that you may otherwise not see as much
- Supporting Pennsylvania’s only state-wide hiking organization
Who can sponsor me?
Participants should secure sponsorships of at least $1 per mile hiked – a minimum of $100 per 100-Mile Trail Challenge submission – to be submitted with their final Log Book. These sponsorships will go directly to where they are needed most, to support Pennsylvania’s hiking trails!
You may find one sponsor to cover all 100 miles – or ten sponsors to each cover 10 miles – or any combination that works for you! Note: sponsorship contributions are tax-deductible.
Some sponsors may prefer to submit their contribution onlne. Click here to submit a sponsorship online.
Potential sponsors may include:
- Corporations or companies
- Youth and school groups
- Your hiking or outdoors club
- Civic and social organizations
- Friends (don’t forget Facebook friends!)
- Local businesses
- Local sports teams
How do I participate?
Complete this short form
to let us know you plan to take the challenge!
- Download and print out this Log Book and Sponsorship Form (print additional copies of each if neccessary)
- Recruit sponsors to cover at least $1 for every mile you plan to hike!
- Hit the trails! Make sure to keep track of dates, mileage, and trails in your Log Book.
- Once you have completed 100 miles (or more, depending on your personal goal), submit your Log Book, Sponsorship Form and contributions, and membership application (if not already a KTA member) by September 1, 2013, in order to receive your award in 2013.
- Attend KTA's Annual Meeting in the fall of 2013 (date and location TBA), if you would like to receive your award in person. Otherwise, we will be happy to mail it to you.
What do I get for completing the challenge?
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know! You may reach us by email
or by phone at 717-238-7017.
Challenge yourself: One step at a time.
Protect your trails: A dollar per mile.